When first entering the PleinAir Salon Art Competition, you’ll be asked to create a profile on ArtCall.org. If you do not have an account at ArtCall.org it will only take a few minutes, and then you can upload images of your paintings and select the categories you wish to enter.
- All individuals entering must be at least 18 years of age to accept cash prizes.
- Competition is open to residents of any state or country where acceptable by law.
- Those entering the Student, Artists Under 30, or Artists Over 65 categories must verify age (and in the Student category, school attendance) if selected as an award winner
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee.
- The fee for the first image submitted is $35, and additional images submitted are $13 each (U.S. dollars).
- All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid via check or credit card by the entry deadline.
- Any purchased credits will need to be used during the bi-monthly competition in which they were purchased. Unused credits will not roll over to the next bi-monthly competition.
- Because this competition is created by PleinAir magazine, which features not only plein air paintings, but also studio paintings, all types of paintings are eligible and do not need to have been completed in plein air, but should originate from a plein air study or plein air experience. As we know, many studio paintings start with plein air sketches. Our interest is in rewarding great paintings.
- All entries must be original compositions and cannot be based on anything that has been published elsewhere. Copies of other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Paintings based on another person’s photograph (even if copyright-free) are NOT eligible. All entries must be 100% painted by the artist entering and cannot have been painted partially by an instructor.
- Photography, computer-generated, printed or painted over photographs are PROHIBITED. The PleinAir Salon reserves the right to refuse any artwork if the method with which is was created is questionable.
- Employees or associates of Streamline Publishing, Inc., or their immediate families may not enter.
- Entries do not need to be new or fresh. Older paintings accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of images you can enter in each bi-monthly competition. Because there are multiple categories you might increase your odds by entering multiple categories.
- An image, which has not previously won in a category can be re-entered in subsequent competitions as many times as you wish, until it wins a category. Note: All category winners are included in the judging for the Grand Prize, so there is no need to enter a winning painting multiple times.
- Images can be entered in multiple categories. Please note that if you enter the same image in multiple categories, that image can be selected as a winner of only one category.
- Grand Prize winners are not eligible to win the Grand Prize again within 12 months of winning.
- When first entering the PleinAir Salon Art Competition, you’ll be asked to create a profile on ArtCall.org. If you do not have an artist account at ArtCall.org, click here. This takes just a few minutes, and then you can upload quality images of your paintings and select the categories you wish to enter.
- PleinAir magazine reserves the right to reject or not display any image that it feels is inappropriate or distasteful, if the image’s resolution quality is poor, if we believe the image is a copy of another painting, or it does not meet the above criteria.
- Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: https://pleinairsalon.com/help/ If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: https://pleinairsalon.com/contact/
- Please add [email protected] to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
- After the close of each bi-monthly competition, an invited guest judge (top museum or gallery professional or master artist) selects the best paintings from each category. The winners will be notified via email and official announcements and promotion will begin approximately the 15th of the month after the close of each competition. More details…
- In the event a judge who has been promoted is unable to judge for any reason, an alternative judge will be appointed. If one cannot be found, judging will be done by an editor or publisher of either Fine Art Connoisseur or PleinAir magazine.
- Winners will be selected in each category of each bi-monthly competition.
- Winners of each bi-monthly competition, including each category winner, will be entered into the judging for the annual Salon competition.
- In the event a category does not have enough entries or paintings of high enough quality, judges may decide not to award recognition in that particular category for that competition period.
By entering the PleinAir Salon, you agree that you are submitting images of your own original artwork and not that of other artists or material in which you do not hold the copyright. The original work does not have to currently be in your possession. You are also agreeing, in advance, to have your submitted artwork and your image published to any print or digital/electronic property of Streamline Publishing, Inc. This includes, but is not limited to, print and digital magazines, newsletters, websites, e-mails, social media pages, and promotional materials in perpetuity.
At times, Streamline Publishing, Inc. may request a higher-resolution image than was submitted through the PleinAir Salon. When entering, you agree to fulfill this request in a timely manner in order for Streamline Publishing, Inc. to promote the competition winners.
Each bi-monthly competition ends at midnight Pacific Time on the published final day of that competition.
Only electronic submissions through the competition’s official website will be accepted. Entries received by mail or physical delivery in the form of photographs, discs, or actual paintings will not be accepted.