First things first. You will need to create a free account with ArtCall before entering your paintings. You can do that HERE.
Next, start deciding which paintings you want to enter. Take a look at our available categories HERE.
It’s that easy! Take a look at the rules below and then get entering! If you have any questions, we have an extensive FAQ HERE.
- All individuals entering must be at least 18 years of age.
- Competition is open to residents of any state or country where acceptable by law.
- Those entering the Artists Over 65 categories must verify age if selected as an award winner
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee.
- The fee for the first image submitted is $38, and additional images submitted are $16 each. (U.S. dollars)
- During the Early Bird Incentive the first two weeks of the month, the prices are reduced to $29 for the first image and $12 for each additional painting. (U.S. Dollars)
- All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid via credit or debit card prior to entering.
- Any purchased credits will need to be used during the same monthly competition in which they were purchased. Unused credits will not roll over to the next competition.
- See also “Why Are Entry Fees Required” in our FAQ.
- Because this competition is created by PleinAir magazine, which features not only plein air paintings, but also studio paintings, all types of paintings are eligible and do not need to have been completed in plein air. As we know, many plein air painters finish paintings in the studio or also work in entirely different subject matter. Our interest is in rewarding great paintings.
- Be sure to look at the description of each category before entering. If your painting doesn’t meet that criteria, it will be disqualified.
- All entries must be original compositions and cannot be based on anything that has been published elsewhere. Copies of other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible.
- Paintings based on another person’s photograph (even if copyright-free) are NOT eligible. Reference photos must belong to the artist entering.
- All entries must be 100% painted by the artist entering and cannot have been painted partially by an instructor. Nor can someone enter the artwork of an artist who is now deceased.
- This is a traditional painting/drawing competition, so photography, ai, digital, printed or painted over photographs are PROHIBITED. The PleinAir Salon reserves the right to refuse any artwork if the method with which is was created is questionable. And any artist who enters digitally altered images will be banned for future competitions.
- Entries do not need to be new or fresh, or even in your possession. Older, and sold, paintings are accepted.
- There is a 75 entry limit to the number of images you can enter in each monthly competition. Because there are multiple categories you might increase your odds by entering multiple categories.
- An image, which has not previously won a category award, can be re-entered in subsequent competitions until it wins an award. Note: All category winners are included in the judging of the Annual Competition, so there is no need to enter a winning painting multiple times.
- Images can be entered in multiple categories. Please note that if you enter the same image in multiple categories, that image can be selected as a winner of only one category.
- When first entering the PleinAir Salon Art Competition, you’ll be asked to create a profile on ArtCall.org. If you do not have an artist account at ArtCall.org, click here. This takes just a few minutes, and then you can upload quality images of your paintings and select the categories you wish to enter.
- PleinAir magazine reserves the right to reject or not display any image that it feels is inappropriate or distasteful, if the image’s resolution quality is poor, if we believe the image is a copy of another painting, or it does not meet the above criteria.
- Employees or associates of Streamline Publishing, Inc., or their immediate families may not enter.
- Once an artist wins the Grand Prize, they are no longer eligible to enter the PleinAir Salon.
- Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, and no more than 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work can be found HERE. Help resizing your painting can be found HERE.
- Please review our extensive FAQ for additional questions. If you still need additional assistance you can contact us HERE.
- Please add [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
- After the close of each monthly competition, an invited guest judge (top artist, museum or gallery professional) selects the best paintings from each category based on a blind judging system. This means that the judge never sees who the artist is. The winners will be announced on the last day of the month following the competition. View our judges HERE.
- In the event a judge who has been promoted is unable to judge for any reason, an alternate judge will be appointed. If one cannot be found, judging will be done by an editor or publisher of either Fine Art Connoisseur or PleinAir magazine.
- There will be one Winner and one Honorable Mention selected in each category of each monthly competition, and three overall awards.
- Winners of each monthly competition, including each category winner, will be entered into the judging for the annual PleinAir Salon competition. Honorable Mention recipients are not entered into the annual competition and can therefore re-enter their paintings into subsequent competitions.
- In the event a category does not have enough entries or paintings of high enough quality, judges may decide not to award recognition in that particular category for that competition period.
By entering the PleinAir Salon, you agree that you are submitting images of your own original artwork and not that of other artists or material in which you do not hold the copyright. The original work does not have to currently be in your possession. You are also agreeing, in advance, to have your submitted artwork and your image published to any print or digital/electronic property of Streamline Publishing, Inc. This includes, but is not limited to, print and digital magazines, newsletters, websites, e-mails, social media pages, and promotional materials in perpetuity.
At times, Streamline Publishing, Inc. may request a higher-resolution image than was submitted through the PleinAir Salon. When entering, you agree to fulfill this request in a timely manner in order for Streamline Publishing, Inc. to promote the competition winners.
Each monthly competition ends at midnight Pacific Time on the published final day of that competition. Winners are announced the last day of the month following the competition. I.e. April winners are announced on May 31st.
Only electronic submissions through the competition’s official website will be accepted. Entries received by email, mail or physical delivery in the form of photographs, discs, or actual paintings will not be accepted.
ADD TO CONTACTS:
Please add the following emails to your safe sender list so that you receive all communications from the PleinAir Salon.